I’ve been making these Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats for about a year now and they are easily one of my go to meals!
The month of April is extremely busy for me at work. I start working at 5am and by the time noon rolls around I’m often on my third cup of coffee :-/ By 3pm the thought normally comes to mind that I should probably brush my teeth, take a shower, and change out of my pjs. Starvation hits around 6pm and I quickly have to think about what I can make for dinner before I climb into bed and start all over again the next day. I’m so glued to my computer that last April around this time of the year, my sister texted me and asked if I was alive. I become a hermit and unfortunately I don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen. I only have the time and energy for recipes that I can quickly whip together. These Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats are definitely on the menu twice this month because they’re fast, easy, healthy, and delicious!
Start by cutting the ends off both sides of each zucchini.
Slice each one in half horizontally (hot dog style).
Using a sharp knife, slice horizontally along the inside wall of the zucchini, being careful not to slice all the way through. Then repeat the slice on the opposite side. Using the slices as a guideline, scoop out the inside of each zucchini. I like to save the inside of the zucchini’s and use it to make zucchini soup, a ravioli filling, or even add it to a meatloaf recipe to keep it moist! You can of course just toss it if you have no use for it. I’ll start working on a recipe for you guys so you’ll have use for the insides!
Place the zucchini’s on a parchment lined baking sheet and set aside. In a small saucepan, prepare the Homemade Pizza Sauce and set aside.
In a medium pan, heat the olive oil. Add in the onion and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until translucent. Then add in the ground turkey meat, salt, and pepper, and cook until the turkey meat is no longer pink.
Add the Homemade Pizza Sauce to the ground turkey mixture and mix together. Then scoop the ground turkey mixture into each zucchini boat.
Top the boats with mozzarella.
Bake for 15-20 minutes and serve immediately.
These Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats are perfect for leftovers so don’t let the extra’s go to waste!
- 4 Zucchini
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Sweet Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey Meat
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Pepper
- 2 Cups of Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 Cup Low Fat Mozzarella Cheese, Grated
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Cut off both ends of each zucchini. Then slice each one in half horizontally. Scoop out the center of each zucchini, leaving a thin layer on the bottom and along the sides.
- Place the zucchini's on a parchment lined baking sheet and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, prepare your Homemade Pizza Sauce and set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until translucent. Add in the ground turkey meat, salt, and pepper, and cook until the turkey meat is no longer pink.
- Add the Homemade Pizza Sauce to the ground turkey mixture and mix together. Then scoop the ground turkey mixture into each zucchini boat and top with cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes.